TUGUEGARAO CITY is a 2nd class and capital city in Cagayan, Philippines. The city is located southern side of the province.
Tuguegarao was derived from the sentence "Tuggui gari yaw" which means this was cleared by fire that refers to the kaingin areas. Thus, the town was carved out of the wilderness by fire.
During 200 B.C. and 300 A.D. period, the early inhabitants of Tuguegarao were Itawes, a group of Malays. The Itawes were later taught the Ibanag dialect, thus several Spanish words are combined in the local dialect. In 1600 the Spanish navigators arrived. The Dominican missionaries taught the natives through evangelization, education and the improvement of livelihood methods, reforms were handed out, chapels and barrios were built. The Spaniards gave the status of "mission-pueblo" for the barangay on May 9, 1604. Encomenderos were assigned in different areas in Tuguegarao and inhabitants were made to pay taxes in the form of poultry products and other foodstuffs that brought resentment to residents. In 1605 to 1761 various revolts from the townsfolk had emerged killing a number of encomenderos.
In the turn of the 19th century, new barangays had been formed and development of the town started. Improvement in social services and infrastructure facilities went underway since 1975. Then in 1983, a long celebration was held here marking the quadricentennial celebration of the establishment of the Civil Government of the Province of Cagayan.
Tuguegarao City has a total land area of 9,002.70 square kilometers. The city is the second largest province in the region. The area is bounded on the east by the Pacific Ocean, on the south side is Isabela province, Cordillera Mountain on the west, on the north side is Balintang Channel and the Babuyan Group of Islands.
The current population of the city is 120,645 people in 22,311 households. The predominant language used is Ytawes, Ybanag and Ilokano.
COMMERCE AND INDUSTRY
Tuguegarao is rich in its resources and the local government unit continues to pursue its development direction towards wealth creation in order to reduce poverty, promote local economic development and foster good urban governance by providing several City Development Strategy (CDS) Projects in terms of agricultural modernization, commercial development, cooperative development, infrastructure development, transportation system and organizational reforms, among many other livelihood projects for the residents. Currently, the city has approximately 4,508 business establishments since 2004.
Tourism Development is also included in the agenda of the local government, thus, slowly the city is being known to other parts of the country through exposure in national competitions, advertisement campaigns in the form of brochures and other promotional materials, participation in national and regional trade fairs, festivals, among other activities and events.
Dry season occurs during the months of March to June, and rainy season during the months of July to October. Cold months occur from November to February.
ARTS & CULTURE
Tuguegarao City continues to preserve its cultural heritage and identity as Ibanags and through the Ibanag Council for Culture and the Arts (ICCA); it implemented Culture, Arts and Tourism Action Plan to transmit encouragement and public awareness of the Ibanag cultural heritage. Example of this is the yearly celebration of the Ibanag Festival which is participated by the schools, barangays and NGOs performing Ibanag songs and dances; and the Ibanag epic showcasing the Ibanag culture.
Among the popular buys in this city are export quality furniture that is made out of softwood, hardwood and rattan products and other agricultural based products.
The famous delicacy in the city is “Batil Patung” or simply known as Tuguegarao Pancit which is made of local noodles.
Most of the Tuguegarao residents are Catholic, the rest are Aglipayans.
LIST OF “BARANGAYS” (or communities)
The city is subdivided into 49 barangays:
Centro 1 (Poblacion)
Centro 2 (Poblacion)
Centro 3 (Poblacion)
Centro 4 (Poblacion)
Centro 5 (Poblacion)
Centro 6 (Poblacion)
Centro 7 (Poblacion)
Centro 8 (Poblacion)
Centro 9 (Poblacion)
Centro 10 (Poblacion)
Centro 11 (Poblacion)
Centro 12 (Poblacion)
The Bridge is 2.50 kilometers from City proper and is the second longest bridge in the country. One can view the majestic Cagayan River. This bridge links the city to the 2nd and 3rd District Municipalities of Cagayan and the Apayao provinces.
This is used in manufacturing the bricks used to build churches and public edifices.
IGUIG CALVARY HILLS
The hills are just 16 kilometers away from the city. It has a life size concrete of the 14 Stations of the Cross depicting Jesus Christ suffering before his death on Mount Calvary.
JOSE RIZAL PARK
Wreath-laying ceremonies are held here in honor of the Philippine National Hero, Dr. Jose Rizal
SAINTS PETER AND PAUL CATHEDRAL
This is the seat of the Archdiocese of Tuguegarao, the biggest Spanish built church in Cagayan Valley, and the most beautiful work of art in the whole world. The picture of the Cathedral also appears at the Basilica in Rome.
SAN JACINTO ERMITA CHURCH
This is an elevated chapel that was built in 1604 and was renovated after World War II. It was also used as headquarters by the American soldiers in the Filipino-American War in 1899.
ST. PAUL UNIVERSITY
The university was founded on May 10, 1907 by St. Paul of Chartres sisters.
THE BASILICA OF OUR LADY OF PIAT
The Basilica is located 33 kilometers from the city. The image is four centuries old and first enshrined in Nueva Segovia or Lal-lo, Cagayan, known also internationally as the Black Mary.
THE CALLAO CAVES
The caves have seven chambers and majestically have limestone formation, skylights and a chapel. This can be reached by climbing 187 cemented steps before entering the cave entrance.
Tuguegarao City is 483 kilometers away from Manila and domestic flights have daily schedules plying this route. Travel time is approximately 45 minutesy.
The city is also accessible via air-conditioned bus. Independent motorists may take the North Diversion Road and exit at Sta. Rosa Exit. Travel time is approximately 8 to 10 hours.